Despite protests, the two units of the 1,000 MW Kudankulam nuclear project, built with Russian collaboration in Tamil Nadu, will be completed this financial year, minister of state in the Prime Minister's Office V Narayanasamy said on Friday.
He said efforts are being made to commission the first unit at the earliest.
The commissioning of the first unit of the project was originally scheduled for December last year.
Speaking at the fourth Nuclear Conclave organised by India Energy Forum in New Delhi, Narayanasamy said "vested interests" are spreading canards about the project, but the government and the Nuclear Power Corporation of India (NPCIL) have reached out to the protesting people.
"The issues raised by them have been addressed comprehensively. The Tamil Nadu State expert committee concluded that the plant is safe. Work is now in full swing and all efforts are being made to commission the first unit at earliest,” he said.
Allaying safety concerns, he said the nuclear plant has a seven-layer safety system. "I have visited the plant several times and am fully satisfied about all safety aspects."
He said that after completion of seven new projects under construction, the country will have 10,080 MW of nuclear capacity by 2017.
The minister also said that the winter session of Parliament is expected to take up the Nuclear Safety Regulatory Authority Bill.
On the Kudankulam reactors 3 and 4, Narayanasamy said the government was talking to the Russians about certain issues on which Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had sought legal opinion.