Confusion prevails ahead of nursery admission season
It appears that there is no end to confusion for the parents who are bracing for the mad rush for nursery admissions beginning next month in the capital.delhi Updated: Dec 05, 2010 09:42 IST
It appears that there is no end to confusion for the parents who are bracing for the mad rush for nursery admissions beginning next month in the capital.
Since the guidelines issued by the Ministry for Human Resource Development recently, there have been contradicting reports over what will be the nature of selection criteria.
While the HRD Ministry has advocated selecting students through draw of lots, schools have been insisting on retaining the exiting 100-point system devised by the Ashok Ganguly Committee three years ago.
Even Delhi Education Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely had earlier said that the points system, which was the criteria of selection last year, would stay in this session too.
However, he now says schools cannot be allowed to follow last year's criteria as it would be against the RTE (Right To Compulsory and Free Education) Act, implemented from the 2011-12 session.
This has led to the confusion among the parents -- they are not sure whether their tiny tots will be selected by the points system or they will be subjected to draw of lots, which find few takers among schools and the parents.
"By draw of lots the government cannot leave our child's future on luck," Harsh Jain, a parent, wrote in a post on admissionsnursery.com -- an online forum for guardians.
Diksha Sapra, another parent, wrote: "It's extremely confusing. I don't want it to be draw of lots, every kid is special and lucky, why do we want to drag them into this race of lottery."
"Like schools, parents also want the points system to stay, as they find draw of lots is not educationally sound," said Sumit Vohra, who runs the popular parents' forum.
"If ministers are allocated their portfolios by draw of lots, would they accept it? I'm sure they won't. So, why parents are being asked to accept it?" he asked.
S K Bhattacharya, President of Action Committee of Unaided Recognised Private Schools, said he finds no logic behind it.
"If a child is not selected through this system, then from day one we are giving the message that the child has bad luck. The whole concept of draw of lots system is flawed," he told PTI.
A team led by Bhattacharya has also given a memorandum to Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit, suggesting that the points system, which has been going on smoothly since 2007, be retained.
Their other proposals included compensating the unaided schools for providing free education to poor children and maintaining the staff and management quota for admission.