Delhi ‘serial rapist’ was amused, encouraged by girls’ cries for mercy
The alleged Delhi serial rapist, Sunil Rastogi, was involved in at least six cases of sexual assault. The 38-year-old tailor was arrested on Saturday.delhi Updated: Jan 16, 2017 14:19 IST
Little girls begging for help amused Sunil Rastogi, Delhi Police said about the alleged serial rapist arrested in the capital on Saturday. Emboldened by the fact that the families of the victims did not approach the police, Rastogi allegedly thought he could get away with anything.
The 38-year-old tailor, allegedly involved in at least six cases of sexual assault, is a father of five children aged 15, 12, 10, 11 and 9 years. He lived in Kalyanpuri in east Delhi where he allegedly assaulted a minor girl in 2004. But her family did not report the matter to the police for the fear of social stigma.
Following week, he had allegedly assaulted another girl. Her family too did not report the matter to the police. However, police say, they forced Rastogi to leave Delhi after which he moved to Rudrapur in Uttar Pradesh with his family.
“He, however, kept making frequent visits to Delhi to target minor girls,” a police source said.
Investigators say Rastogi told them that he travelled only by one train — Sampark Kranti Express, which runs between Delhi and Kathgodam — and marked dates on the calendar for his visits. He allegedly chose to travel only on odd dates.
Rastogi, police said, used to tell his wife that he visited Delhi for work. “He would reportedly mark dates on the calendar and tell his wife that he has to visit Delhi to take orders for clothes and meet some boutique owners. He only chose odd dates for his travel,” a police officer said.
- December 24: A 60-year-old auto-rickshaw driver attempts to rape a 10-year-old girl in east Delhi’s Geeta Colony. The man had made a similar attempt on the same girl three months ago
- December 16: Two men allegedly kidnap a 13-year-old girl from outside her house in northeast Delhi’s Khajoori Khas, take her to a nearby shop and attempt to gang-rape her. A local resident sees the two men entering the shop with the girl and informs her family members, who are already looking for her in the locality.
- November 21: A four-year-old girl in northwest Delhi’s Keshav Puram is found murdered near her house. Police suspect sexual assault. They recover a CCTV footage that shows her neighbour carrying her into the bushes near her house.
- September 3: An eleven-monthold baby is abducted and raped by her neighbour in west Delhi’s Vikaspuri.
- July 25: A 4-year-old girl is allegedly kidnapped and raped by her 28-year-old neighbour in outer Delhi’s Shahbad Dairy. She suffers injuries in her private parts and is admitted to a government hospital. The accused, Junaid, has been arrested.
- July 23: A 14-year-old Dalit girl is allegedly raped several times by her neighbour and forced to drink a ‘corrosive substance’ that severely damages her internal organs in north Delhi’s Burari. The girl later succumbs to her injuries during treatment at hospital.
- May 25: A 13-year-old girl with Down Syndrome is admitted to AIIMS after she is kidnapped, brutally raped and dumped near the railway tracks allegedly by her neighbour in southeast Delhi’s Pul Prahladpur. She suffers bruises on her neck and abdomen.
Police said they are probing if Rastogi abused his two daughters for which their mother will be interrogated. “Rastogi claims he has lost the count of the number of girls he has victimised. We also suspect that he assaulted his children but that is unclear,” the officer said.
The police now expect more parents to come out and report if Rastogi allegedly abused their children. “The investigation in this case is on. We urge people to come forward and file complaints against molesters and rapists as silence encourages them,” the officer said.