CWG case: Delhi Court to take cognisance of chargesheet on Aug 27
A Delhi court has slated August 27 to consider taking cognisance of the CBI charge sheet in the case of alleged financial bungling during the 2009 Queen's Baton Relay in London before the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.delhi Updated: Aug 19, 2012 00:28 IST
A Delhi court has slated August 27 to consider taking cognisance of the CBI charge sheet in the case of alleged financial bungling during the 2009 Queen's Baton Relay in London before the Commonwealth Games in Delhi.
Special CBI Judge Talwant Singh will consider taking cognisance of the charge sheet filed against four persons, including three CWG Organising Committee (OC) officials and two companies.
In its 21-page chargesheet, the CBI has named former OC joint director-general TS Darbari, deputy director general Sanjay Mahendroo and treasurer M Jaychandran. London-based businessman Ashish Patel and his two firms AM Car and Van Hire Ltd and AM Films have been named as accused.
The accused had been booked under various provisions of the Indian Penal Code relating to criminal conspiracy, cheating and forgery besides violations of the provisions of the Prevention of Corruption Act.
The CBI, however, has dropped erstwhile OC director Raj Singh from the list of accused in the chargesheet due to lack of evidence against him in the case."There is no evidence against Raj Singh to prove forgery or knowledge on his part in respect of the forged e-mails," the CBI said in the chargesheet.
The CBI had lodged two separate cases against these former OC officials but filed a combined chargesheet in the court.
Darbari, Mahendroo and Jaychandran were arrested in 2010 but were released on bail as the CBI could not file the chargesheet within the statutory time limit of 60 days after the arrest of the accused.
The agency, in its charge sheet, has said the OC members had conspired to award contracts of local transportation and others to Patel's firms at exorbitant rates during the 2009 QBR event held in London.