Defending lawyer in Jessica Lall case dies in hospital | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 17, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Defending lawyer in Jessica Lall case dies in hospital

He handled some of the most high profile crime cases in Delhi’s history.

delhi Updated: Feb 09, 2010 00:29 IST
HT Correspondent

He handled some of the most high profile crime cases in Delhi’s history.

He defended convicts Manu Sharma and Santosh Kumar Singh in Jessica Lall and Priyadarshini Mattoo cases respectively. In the end, he was allegedly bludgeoned by his own brother-in-law.

After fighting for his life for 15 days, noted criminal lawyer R.K. Naseem, succumbed to his injuries on Monday morning.

Police have arrested accused Vinod Sharma, his son Aman and two workers, Rahul and Neeraj, in the case.

What happened?

On January 24, Naseem’s brother-in-law and former Member of Legislative Assembly (MLA) from Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP), Vinod Sharma allegedly attacked Naseem.

According to police, Sharma allegedly attacked Naseem from behind and hit him on the head with a piece of heavy wood. He was taken to Mata Channan Devi Hospital where he remained in coma till his death.

He died at 4:56 am on Monday.

The attack on Naseem had triggered a controversy following allegations of mishandling of the case by police. Police transferred the case to Crime Branch on January 27 besides transferring the station house officer (SHO) of Dabri, Southwest Delhi to Police Lines.

“The SHO stood by while my uncle was attacked by Vinod Sharma and his son Aman and two of their employees. He was the one who called my uncle to Sharma’s factory in Dabri. When my uncle was being attacked, he kept standing there and did nothing,” said Gaurav Gaur, Naseem’s nephew.

On January 24, acting on a complaint of dacoity registered by Naseem against Sharma, the Manesar Police had come to arrest him.

Gaurav, who owns a factory in Dabri next to Sharma’s, called the police control room to allegedly prevent them from fleeing from the spot. “The SHO Dabri came and called my uncle to the spot. It was then that he was attacked after which the accused fled,” said Gaurav.

He added that they have also given CCTV footage clearly showing Sharma attacking Naseem. “The CCTV camera at my factory captured some of the footage and we have given it to the Crime Branch,” said Sameer Gaur, Naseem’s son.

Family dispute

Police said the two families have been embroiled in a financial dispute for many years.

“They claim Sharma took Rs 1 crore from them to set up a factory and never returned the money. A case was registered by Naseem in which he stated that Sharma tried to forge a power of attorney and take over his son’s factory,” said a police officer on the condition of anonymity, as he was not authorised to speak to the media.