The delay in completing the construction of stadiums and other Commonwealth Games-related venues will leave security agencies with barely a week to conduct mandatory security checks — including anti-sabotage exercises — at these spots, a senior official said on Wednesday evening.
Government sources said the home ministry had been told that while some of the other venues might be handed over earlier, the Games Village could be handed over to security agencies only by September 7.
"This means we will have just about a week to check the Village since the players and officials will start arriving by around September 15," the official said.
After a security meet with top officials, Union home minister P. Chidambaram added: "Delays are admitted. It is not because of the Delhi Police but because others have to complete their work."
Nearly 1 lakh police personnel will be deployed in the Capital during the Games, scheduled for October 3-14.
The home minister said he would have to hold another review after September 15, by when he has been assured that security overlays will be completed.
"Since the home ministry is primarily responsible for security, we will do another final review on September 15 or shortly thereafter," said Chidambaram.
To make up for the lost time, the security establishment has formed nearly 120 anti-sabotage teams of bomb disposal experts of the Delhi Police and army-backed teams to check for chemical, biological and radiological hazards.
"These teams will have to work day and night to complete their targets, since everyone else has missed their deadlines by miles," said an official. "We will have no cushion."