Six persons, including two children, died and 36 others were injured in two separate LPG cylinder blasts in the city on Monday.
One of the explosions took place in East Delhi’s Gandhinagar area and the other in southeast Delhi’s Bhagwan Nagar, Sunlight Colony.
Three persons, including a woman, died and eleven others sustained severe burn wounds after a cylinder exploded inside a house in Gandhinagar area on Monday around 8 pm.
The cylinder reportedly burst into pieces and its shrapnels flung across the building damaging several other houses in the vicinity. Bricks came down, AC’s were damaged and windowpanes broken. The children playing in the colony along with the passersby also sustained severe injuries as structures fell on them. A police team reached the spot and the inspection was on till late on Monday night.
The police said the fire started from the house of one Sanjay Kashyap, an advocate, who was not at home at the time of the incident. Some labourers were reportedly cooking food on the second floor of his building when the cylinder exploded.
Kashyap’s wife Poonam (34) and father Soni Kashyap (64) died on the spot and his children, Naina (4), Girish (6) and Krish (12) sustained severe burn wounds and have been admitted to the hospital. Kashyap’s neighbour, Rajesh Goyal (50), who lived in the opposite building also died after a shrapnel hit him in the head.
Officials from the Delhi Fire Services said that a dozen tenders were rushed to the spot. “Since the lanes are narrow, the fire spread to the rest of the house very quickly,” a senior fire official said.
Officials said the fire started after an LPG cylinder caught fire at a lawyer’s house in lane number 17 of the area. The electricity supply of the colony was disconnected after the cylinder blast.
Hours later, a similar case of LPG cylinder blast was reported from southeast Delhi’s Bhagwan Nagar, Sunlight Colony leaving three, including two children, dead.
The fire broke out in the three-storeyed building around 8:20 pm and Mamta (30), Priyanka (1) and Pritika (9) were charred to death. Mamta had reportedly jumped out of the building, along with the two children, but died on impact.
“Seven fire tenders were pressed into action. Some residents who were trapped inside the buildings jumped down in a state of panic. Out teams have managed to control the blaze,” the fire official said.
According to the police the fire started on the first floor of the house after a short circuit led to a cylinder blast. The fire spread to the entire building within minutes and many residents were trapped inside. More than 25 persons were said to be injured in the fire.
The police have registered a case and the investigation is on.