Delhi airport gets midnight terror scare | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Delhi airport gets midnight terror scare

The CISF personnel on duty at the Indira Gandhi International Airport had reported hearing two gunshots, reports Sidhartha Roy.

delhi Updated: Dec 06, 2008 00:22 IST
Sidhartha Roy

“Please lie down on the floor and don’t move,” went the announcement on the loudspeaker, “There has been a suspected terrorist attack outside the airport.” People hit the floor wherever they were.

It was 1.10 am, peak hour for international flights.

Airport alerted
1.10 am: CISF guards posted near Gate no. 4 of Terminal 2 Departure area of the airport hear two gunshots. Passengers asked to crouch or lie down.
1.15 am: All entry points closed. Vehicles are thoroughly searched.
1.25 am: A Qualis tries to enter the arrival area from the wrong side. Asked to stop. It flees.
2 am: After thorough combing, all-clear given. Operations resume.

The CISF personnel on duty at the Indira Gandhi International Airport had reported hearing two gunshots. Just 15 minutes later, a Toyota Qualis shot out of the area in front of the arrival terminal. It sped past the security barricades, and the sentries manning them. And was off into the night before the Quick Reaction Team could catch up in its Gypsy. That’s the last that was seen of the vehicle.

The airport went into high alert. Power supply was shut, all gates were closed as security personnel and NSG commandos combed the airport. They didn’t find anything or anyone suspicious and an all-clear was sounded around 2 am.

This was not a terrorist strike, but neither was it a bomb-hoax or a security drill. The police suspect the Qualis was on the airport premises for 15 minutes, and the occupants fired the shots and fled. A case has been registered.

But for those at the airport, it looked like their worst fears had come true. “After the Mumbai attacks, everyone is afraid of something similar happening here,” said Leena Vashisht, an Asiana Airlines employee, who was there. “The (gunshot) sounds were quite loud.”