Delhi ‘bomber’ gets heavy security
Following a “perceived threat” to his life, Delhi Police have strengthened the security of alleged Delhi bomber Shahzad Ahmed (21) alias Pappu, reports Vijaita Singh.delhi Updated: Feb 13, 2010 23:19 IST
Following a “perceived threat” to his life, Delhi Police have strengthened the security of alleged Delhi bomber Shahzad Ahmed (21) alias Pappu.
Ahmed, who was produced in a city court on Friday, was brought in a bullet-proof Scorpio with armed commandos guarding him.
He was produced twice in court before this, but the heavy security arrangement was never there.
On Friday, the Special Cell of Delhi Police produced Ahmed at Tis Hazari court in north Delhi amid tight security.
“We cannot take any chances as far as his security is concerned. He might be attacked while being produced in court so his security has been beefed up. There is no specific input on threat on his life but we cannot take any chances,” said a senior police officer on condition of anonymity.
Ahmed was arrested on February 2 from Uttar Pradesh.
He is accused of planting a bomb at Children's Park near India Gate on September 13, 2008 — the day serial blasts rocked the city killing 21 people. He is also accused of opening fire at Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma who died during an encounter with the alleged bombers of Indian Mujahideen, a terror outfit, at Batla House on September 19, 2008.
Ahmed, a native of Azamgarh, was allegedly radicalised by Atif Ameen — the head of the Indian Mujahideen — only 18 days after he came to Delhi, police said.
Ameen was killed in the encounter.
Ahmed told the police that Ameen showed him a 10-minute video clip of the execution of former Iraq president Saddam Hussein to “radicalise” him.
“He also told us that Ameen gave him literature like Jihad ke Deewane, Osama ka Jeewan, Vijay ki Kahani by Salahuddin to motivate him. After going through the literature and seeing the video clips, he agreed to plant a bomb at the Children’s Park near India Gate,” said the officer.
Ahmed had fled from Batla House and was on the run for almost two years before being caught. He was produced at a Patiala House court on February 6 by a Crime Branch and the same day the Special Cell team took him in an ordinary police jeep to Tis Hazari court to seek his custody.
On February 3, when he was produced in a city court, the security was missing.
The Special Cell had earlier produced alleged Maoist leader Kobad Ghandy in the bullet- proof vehicle.