The Delhi Police on Friday charge sheeted the father and mother of a juvenile accused of mowing down a 32-year-old man with a speeding Mercedes in north Delhi’s Civil line area in April last year.
In a first, the police had arrested the 17-year-old boy’s father for allowing the boy to drive the Mercedes without a valid licence.
Police in their chargesheet have reportedly alleged that despite the teenager being challaned for driving without a licence and getting involved in a similar accident earlier, his father was not careful and did not stop him from driving.
The boy’s father, who runs a business of wedding cards, has been chargesheeted under sections of the Motor Vehicles Act.
On April 5 last year, management student Siddharth Sharma was hit by a speeding Mercedes car, driven by the 17-year-old, while he was trying to cross the road in north Delhi’s Civil Lines area.
The teenager was initially apprehended and charged under lenient sections of causing death due to negligence and let off on bail, triggering massive protests in the city.
Delhi Police later apprehended him again and charged him for culpable homicide not amounting to murder. The juvenile turned 18 four days after the accident. He was granted bail by the Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) later.
Police in their chargesheet against the teenager, who is being tried as an adult, have alleged that the teenager, who is the student of a prominent Delhi school, was warned by his friends not to drive at such a high speed. Police have made his friends as witnesses.
The CCTV footage of the accident shows Sharma crossing the road and being flung at least 15 meters in the air, after being hit by the speeding Mercedes car. While the teenagers fled the spot, their family driver later approached the police attempting to mislead them by claiming that he was driving the vehicle. Later, when the driver learnt that Sharma had died, he broke down and told police that he was told to lie and protect the teenager.