Delhi: Couple electrocuted while charging e-rickshaw | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 23, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Delhi: Couple electrocuted while charging e-rickshaw

A couple was electrocuted after they came in contact with their electric rickshaw when its battery was being charged at Mubarakpur in outer Delhi’s Aman Vihar on Saturday night.

delhi Updated: Oct 18, 2016 22:44 IST
HT Correspondent
A couple was electrocuted after they came in contact with their electric rickshaw when its battery was being charged at Mubarakpur in outer Delhi’s Aman Vihar on Saturday night.
A couple was electrocuted after they came in contact with their electric rickshaw when its battery was being charged at Mubarakpur in outer Delhi’s Aman Vihar on Saturday night.

A couple was electrocuted after they came in contact with their electric rickshaw when its battery was being charged at Mubarakpur in outer Delhi’s Aman Vihar on Saturday night.

Police said the woman, Sarla, had come in contact with direct current after which she collapsed. Her husband, Yogendra, rushed to rescue her and touched her body while it was in contact with direct current. He too collapsed. They both died on the spot, said police.

A police officer said the couple lived with their son Arjun and his wife at Mubarakpur . Yogendra owned and drove his own electric passenger three-wheeler richshaw. Arjun runs a tea stall near their home.

Around 10 pm on Saturday, Yogendra returned home after day’s work and parked his e-rickshaw at the tea stall. He was charging the e-rickshaw and standing next to it when his wife arrived to give him food.

Sarla had some ailment in her knees due to which she used to take support of something while standing.

“Sarla gave her husband food and decided to wait till he finished it. As Sarla held the e-rickshaw to take support, she was electrocuted. Her husband was electrocuted while trying to save her life,” said the officer.

The two were rushed to a nearby hospital where doctors pronounced them dead on arrival.

Deputy commissioner of police (outer), MN Tiwari, said, “Our preliminary probe revealed that electricity was flowing in the battery rickshaw because of some defects in the electric wire used to charge the battery.”

The family originally belonged to Bhind in Madhya Pradesh.