The Delhi Police on Tuesday filed a chargesheet in a city court against two men for brutally raping a five-year-old girl in east Delhi two months ago. The kidnap and rape of the minor in east Delhi had sparked public outrage against the alleged apathy of police in registering the case, leading to the suspension and transfer of policemen of various ranks, including an ACP who had been caught on camera while slapping a young protester.
The accused — Manoj Shah, 22 and Pradeep Kumar, 20 — were arrested from Bihar.
In its chargesheet filed before Additional Sessions Judge Sanjay Garg, the police said the evidence collected pointed out that the accused had raped the minor after kidnapping her and confined her to a room for two days.
Manoj and Pradeep have been chargesheeted under various provisions of the newly enacted Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act, relating to aggravated sexual assault and for offences including kidnapping, procuring a minor girl, wrongful confinement, attempt to murder and destruction of evidence under the IPC.
Under the POCSO Act, the accused is required to prove his innocence and it prevails over the IPC in which the accused is presumed innocent until proven guilty.
ASJ Garg, presiding over the special court under the POCSO Act, took cognisance of the chargesheet and fixed the matter for July 1 for hearing. The offences, if proved, entail a maximum punishment of life term.
Manoj and Pradeep are accused of brutally raping the five-year-old girl on April 15 in a building in east Delhi’s Gandhi Nagar. The girl was rescued 40 hours later on April 17.
The chargesheet said Manoj and Pradeep had intentionally kidnapped the child and after confining her in Manoj’s rented room, they raped her.
It also said that both the accused inserted candles and an oil bottle in her private parts and that they had tried to kill her by strangulating and slitting her throat. They later fled the spot, leaving her for dead, the chargesheet says.