Delhi moves one step closer to app-based premium buses
The Delhi government on Monday notified the bus aggregator policy for app-based premium bus services, starting June 1.delhi Updated: May 23, 2016 23:49 IST
The Delhi government on Monday notified the bus aggregator policy for app-based premium bus services, starting June 1.
The scheme, which was notified on the official website of Delhi’s government’s transport department, will allow only air-conditioned buses to ply. One bus aggregator will have to run at least 50 vehicles to get a licence from the transport department, the notification read.
“All premium buses, which ply in Delhi in conformity with guidelines specified in the app-based premium bus services scheme, shall be deemed to be used for the purpose of reducing the pollution and shall be exempted from provision of sub-section (1) of Section 66 of the said Act to such extent as may be necessary for operation of such premium buses,” it read.
The scheme was announced by Delhi’s transport minister Gopal Rai last month. The buses will operate on the lines of app-based cab services being run by aggregators -- Ola and Uber. The notification, however, has not set any restrictions on fares or routes of the services.
The service will also allow electronic payments.
Rai had said that applicants will have to install Wi-Fi, GPS and two CCTV cameras in each bus. A panic button is also a mandatory licence condition.
Aggregator service, Ola, issued a statement soon after welcoming the government’s move.
“Ola welcomes the efforts of the Delhi government to launch app-based premium bus services. We look forward to working with the government in extending a world class daily commute solution from Ola Shuttle, to citizens across the state,” the statement read.
At present, three major bus aggregator services -Ola, Shuttl, and ZipGo are already operational in the Delhi-NCR region. In fact, in December last year over 20 buses from Ola Shuttle, and Shuttl were seized for providing intra-city transit services without proper permits.
Though sources in the Delhi government said the notification was not approved by the Lieutenant Governor, the claim could not confirmed.