Delhi shootout drama - a timeline
Following is the sequence of events, according to Delhi Police, of Friday's shootout in which two suspected terrorists were killed, two managed to escape and one was captured.delhi Updated: Sep 19, 2008 19:53 IST
Following is the sequence of events, according to Delhi Police, of Friday's shootout in which two suspected terrorists were killed, two managed to escape and one was captured:
Around 10 am:
* A team of 20 people led by Assistant Commissioner of Police Sanjeev Yadav reaches Jamia Nagar. The team takes position on the buildings around apartment block L-18.
Between 11-11.45 am:
* Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, who was not wearing a flak jacket, knocks on the front door of an apartment on the fourth floor of L-18 building.
* Sharma asks the inmates to come out for police verification. Occupants open fire from a .3 mm pistol.
* Three bullets hit Sharma; two pass through his body. Sharma falls down as the policemen take shelter.
* Head Constable Balwan Singh suffers injury on right hand.
* Sharma is taken to the nearby Holy Family Hospital, where doctors immediately wheel him into the operation theatre to remove a bullet lodged in his stomach.
* Senior police officials, including Joint Commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Karnal Singh and Deputy commissioner of Police (Special Cell) Alok Kumar arrive at Jamia Nagar.
* Various teams of the Special Cell are pressed into the service along with a platoon of elite National Security Guards commandos.
* Teams wearing protective gear once again try to move into the apartment.
* As both side trade fire, police asked people in the area to remain indoors.
* Police fired a total of 22 rounds; occupants of apartment retaliate with eight rounds.
* Two suspected terrorists are gunned down, even as two others managed to flee from the rear of the apartment, apparently by jumping onto the roof of an adjoining building; one man is captured as police move into the apartment.
* Police teams remove the bodies of the dead and take away the captured man to an undisclosed location.
Around 11.45 am:
* Police declare the firefight over.
* People come out of the their houses and chant anti-police slogans, expressing their anger to reporters for wrongly reporting that terrorists were hiding in a nearby mosque.
* Delhi Police Commissioner YS Dadwal holds press conference to announce that one of the dead was Asif, mastermind of Delhi bombings.
* Inspector Mohan Chand Sharma, grievously injured in the police raid, is dead.