Delhi Uphaar tragedy: Victims’ kin say SC order brings little relief
Shekhar Krishnamoorthy, who lost his two teenage children in Delhi’s Uphaar cinema fire in 1997, expressed dissatisfaction over the Supreme Court judgment on Thursday.delhi Updated: Feb 09, 2017 21:18 IST
Shekhar Krishnamoorthy, who lost his two children in Uphaar cinema fire nearly 20 years ago, expressed dissatisfaction over the Supreme Court judgment on Thursday.
Though the court ordered real estate baron Gopal Ansal to serve one year in jail and surrender within four weeks to serve the remaining term, his brother and Sushil Ansal was awarded a term that he has already served, including the remission, in the case.
“We are very disappointed. There is no difference between the latest judgment and the verdict in 2015. The court has let off Sushil on the basis of his aging and medical condition. It is unacceptable. We know how many aged criminals have been languishing in jail for years. Why such relief was granted to him? This is an accused friendly system,” he said.
Shekhar, along with his wife Neelam and two children - Unnati (17) and Ujjwal (13) - had gone to watch Hindi film ‘Border’ at Uphaar cinema in Green Park on June 13, 1997. A total of 59 people, including the two teenagers, died in the tragedy. Over 100 people were seriously injured in the resulting stampede.
Shekhar told HT that they would file a review petition seeking maximum punishment as per the law.
The parents had been spearheading a legal battle for the victims and also formed the Association of the Victims of Uphaar Tragedy (AVUT).