Delhiites spend 37 per cent of income on food
People in urban areas of the national capital spend about 37 per cent of their monthly income on food articles with milk products emerging as the most favourite.delhi Updated: Apr 05, 2010 22:20 IST
People in urban areas of the national capital spend about 37 per cent of their monthly income on food articles with milk products emerging as the most favourite.
As per Delhi Government's report on 'Household Consumer Expenditure' released today, the monthly per capita expenditure of urban population has increased from Rs 1,972 in 2007 to Rs 2,078 in the year 2008 -- topping all the states and union territories.
The national monthly per capita expenditure among the urban population is only Rs 1,472. The report was released by Finance Minister A K Walia.
It said about nine per cent of the total monthly per capita expenditure was spent on fuel, six per cent on clothing, eight per cent on education, three per cent on medical expenses, six per cent on house rent and one per cent on tobacco products.
It said people in urban areas spend 37 per cent of their monthly income on food items and remaining 63 per cent is spent on non-food items.
The breakup of the expenditure reveals that 10 per cent of the income is spent on milk and milk products, eight per cent on cereals and pulses, two per cent on edible oils, four per cent on vegetables and two per cent on fruits etc.
The report further said that the monthly per capita expenditure of 46 per cent of the total households in Delhi varies from Rs 1,001 to Rs 2,000 followed by 12 per cent in the range of Rs 2,001-2,500 and 29 per cent in the range of Rs 2,501 and above.
The per capita monthly expenditure in Delhi on food is lower than the national average (urban area) of 40 per cent.
The report has been brought out by the Directorate of Economics and Statistics on the basis of sample survey conducted during July, 2007 – June, 2008.
The report said 45 per cent of the total households are regular waged and salaried household followed by 43 per cent self-employed.
Five per cent household were in the category of labour and remaining five per cent were other households.
Walia informed that 62 per cent of the total households were living in their own houses, whereas 35 per cent were in rented houses.
About 74 per cent of the total households were residing in their independent houses while 15 per cent are living in flats and about 11 per cent are in villages.
About 93 per cent of the total houses were pucca type, six per cent semi-pucca and 1 per cent kucha type in Delhi.