Diwali-eve blasts: Court rejects bail
A city court rejects the bail plea of an accused in the Diwali-eve serial blasts saying that “the offences against him were serious in nature”.delhi Updated: May 21, 2008 03:09 IST
The bail plea of an accused in the Diwali-eve serial blasts was on Tuesday rejected by a city court that said “the offences against him were serious in nature”.
“There is sufficient evidence (to suggest) that Gulam Ahmed Khan had provided a huge amount of money to Tariq Ahmad Dar, the prime accused, to carry out a logistic plan. The alleged offences against Khan are quite serious in nature. He does not deserve to be released on bail at this stage,” ASJ Babu Lal said.
Seeking bail Khan’s counsel, R.N. Tufail, said his client had been in custody since his arrest in October 2005. Charges against Khan were framed under sections 17 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, for which the minimum prescribed punishment is five years. Since he has remained in custody for two-and-a-half years, he should be released on bail, Tufail argued before the court.
There was not an iota of evidence against Khan. He remained under medical treatment for his mental diseases, which was another factor for granting him bail at this stage, Tufail told the court. The additional public prosecutor argued that the offences under sections 17 and 18 of the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act were punishable with imprisonment for life.