DMK serves notice on CAG's 2G report, wants debate
The DMK today gave a notice in Parliament for a discussion on national auditor's claim that the government lost Rs. 1.76 lakh crore in the auction of 2G-spectrum allocation.delhi Updated: Nov 26, 2012 12:46 IST
The DMK on Monday gave a notice in Parliament for a discussion on national auditor's claim that the government lost Rs. 1.76 lakh crore in the auction of 2G-spectrum allocation.
DMK leaders and former union telecom ministers A Raja and Dayanidhi Maran have been charged with making illegal favours in the allocation of 2G spectrum.
The party announced it has requested the Lok Sabha Speaker for a discussion under Rule 193 of parliamentary procedures.
DMK leader T R Baalu has given the notice for a special discussion, saying the reports appearing in the media showed that the loss figure in the 2G issue had been "inflated exponentially".
In the notice, Baalu said this developments put the entire issue in a new light which calls for "thorough discussion into the audit practices and constitutional mandate of the CAG".
Baalu's action comes close on the heels of union minister V Narayanasamy's remarks that the Centre was ready for a discussion in Parliament on the statement of RP Singh on the 2G spectrum allocations issue, if key ally DMK brings forward a motion.
The party's demand for a discussion on the Comptroller and Auditor General's (CAG) presumptive loss in 2G allocation comes after ex-CAG audit officer RP Singh claimed last week the report was influenced by BJP leader and Public Accounts Committee Chairman Murli Manohar Joshi.
The former CAG official had claimed that his superiors gave him "written order" following which he signed on the final report giving a presumptive loss figure of Rs. 1.76 lakh crore.
It also comes against the backdrop of union minister Ghulam Nabi Azad meeting with DMK chief M Karunanidhi in Chennai yesterday during which the health minister had tried to persuade DMK to support the government on the FDI in retail issue.
DMK had come under lot of pressure in the wake of the 2G scam and the then telecom minister A Raja had to resign in the wake of the controversy and was also arrested.
Karunanidhi had last week strongly pitched for a multi-member CAG, saying the recent flopped auction of 2G spectrum that netted only about Rs. 9,000 crore had proved wrong the top auditor's report pegging the presumptive loss in 2G allocation.
The statement of Singh, a former director general, posts and telecommunications in the CAG, triggered a bitter war of words between the Congress and the BJP.
While an upbeat Congress said the BJP has been exposed on the issue, the main opposition party dubbed Singh as “a pawn in the hands” of the UPA to malign institutions that were highlighting corruption.
Last week, information and broadcasting minister Manish Tewari asked CAG to "publicly debate" its report on 2G. “The nation needs to know how Rs. 2,645 crore of loss (in 2G allocation) turned a presumptive loss of Rs. 1.76 lakh crore. It can happen only if CAG is prepared to debate the entire 2G report on an open public platform of their own choosing,” the Information and Broadcasting Minister said, noting that the confused public has the right to know the truth," he has said.
(with PTI inputs)