A 22-year-old man was charred to death when the car he was driving caught fire and he got trapped inside due to a malfunctioning central locking system. The incident took place in Najafgarh area of southwest Delhi on Saturday morning.
Police said, a passerby saw a smoke coming out of a Swift car in Barusarai village in Najafgarh. "The person behind the wheels was shouting for help but the eyewitness could not do anything. He made the PCR call and police called the fire department. Both rushed to spot and douse the blaze. The occupant of the car had 100 per cent burns and was declared brought dead at the Safdarjung hospital," a senior police officer said.
The victim, identified as Ashish Rathi, was a second year student of Delhi University. His father has retired from BSF. "Rathi was also preparing for Civil services examination. He was returning from his Gurgaon house and was on the way to Najafgarh," the officer added. The victim was a resident of Daulatabad village in Gurgaon.
Initial investigations have revealed that the fire had originated from the engine and engulfed the car.
"The fire broke out in the running car. It was probably due to heat. First there was a spark in engine and central locking system of the car stopped working. Rathi got trapped inside and locals couldn't do anything as the fire spread within seconds," the officer further said.
Police have ruled out any foul play and said fire department is conducting an inquiry.
"A forensic team of Delhi Police has collected evidence from the spot," he added. Further investigations are on in the case and a team has been sent to Gurgaon to speak to victim's family.