East Delhi Municipal Corporation plans to go cashless by Dec 30 | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 24, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

East Delhi Municipal Corporation plans to go cashless by Dec 30

The civic body on Monday convened a meeting with its commissioner Mohanjeet Singh and the head of various departments to chalk out a detailed plan for executing the concept.

delhi Updated: Dec 07, 2016 11:09 IST
Vibha Sharma
demonetisation
The East Delhi Municipal Corporation at present collects 10% of its revenue — including collection from parking fees, property tax, licensing fees and conversion charges — in cash.

Taking a lead over its south and north counterparts, the East Delhi Municipal Corporation has decided to go cashless by the end of this month.

The civic body on Monday convened a meeting with its commissioner Mohanjeet Singh and the head of various departments to chalk out a detailed plan for executing the concept.

Representatives of the banking sector were also called to sensitise department heads and tell them about options available for e-payments of taxes/ fines etc.

The IT and finance departments of the corporation, officials said, were now busy developing their own e-wallet facility.

“We have recently received directions from the Union ministry of finance to do cashless transactions. We are working hard towards achieving that objective and want to go completely cashless by December 30. Each department has been asked to submit their action plan immediately,” said Singh.

According to Singh, the civic agency is presently collecting 90 % of taxes/fines through cheques and online banking. “The remaining 10% of the amount — including collection from parking fees, property tax, licensing fees and conversion charges — is still collected in cash and we need to develop a tool for the convenience of people,” said Singh.

“The system will bring transparency in the functioning of departments and minimise the mismanagement of resources,” added Jitender Chaudhary, standing committee chairman of East Delhi Municipal Corporation.

According to Chaudhary, the cash counters at zonal offices will be replaced with e-collection centres and additional staff will be deployed to assist the visitors/taxpayers in understanding the functioning of such facilities.

At present, the east corporation has 23,000 employees working in 10 departments. This includes 1,300 public health workers, 1,100 education department workers, 867 horticulture department workers, 2,000 in engineering and 15, 000 in department of environment management services.

The corporation is planning to organise workshops for each department, in groups. “We will organise workshops in different groups (Group A-D). later, we will ask them to come out with their queries/constrains in executing the concept. We will also urge them to go cashless in their day-to-day life also,” said Chaudhary.

Read| South Delhi Municipal Corporation proposes cashless property tax payments