Nisar Ahmad Ansari is a distraught man today. A street vendor, he wanted his 24-year-old son Istiyak to pursue higher education.
Istiyak, the only graduate in his family, had come to Delhi to pursue MBA. He was killed in the Mehrauli blast on September 27, 2008.
A street vendor in Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh, Ansari had borrowed Rs 1.5 lakh from moneylenders to fund his son's education. He is still working extra time to pay off the loan he took for Istiyak's education.
His case is not a lone incident. His family is among three others, who lost their kin on the tragic day. Though three years have passed, the families of the three victims are yet to receive compensation as announced by the Central government. Under the Central scheme, the three families were entitled to receive Rs 3 lakh each.
Stating that all his efforts had gone in vain, Ansari said, “We filled the compensation form twice but there is no response from the government.”
Mahesh Mahto, who lost his 11-year-old son in the blast, said, “My son Santosh was holding the tiffin box, in which the bomb was planted, before it exploded.”
“Three years have passed but no official has bothered to visit us, forget the compensation,” said Mahto.
The family of Deepu, 21, the third victim of the Mehrauli blast, has also lost hope. “We don't expect anything from the government,” said Rajkumari, Deepu's mother.
Ashok Randhawa, a social activist helping the three families get compensation, said, “The officer handling the issue said the compensation files had been misplaced. Forms were again filled up by the families in August. They still haven't received any communication,” Randhawa said.
“We have forwarded their files to the Central government and the issue will be resolved soon,” said Nandini Paliwal, DC (South).