Five electrocuted in Delhi | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 21, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Five electrocuted in Delhi

A 13-year-old boy died while trying to pull down his kite from an electricity pole in Kondli area of east Delhi on Sunday. The boy, identified as Raj Kumar, was celebrating Independence Day by flying kites with his friends.

delhi Updated: Aug 15, 2010 23:40 IST
HT Correspondent

Five electrocutions were reported from across the city on Sunday.

A 13-year-old boy died while trying to pull down his kite from an electricity pole in Kondli area of east Delhi on Sunday. The boy, identified as Raj Kumar, was celebrating Independence Day by flying kites with his friends.

“His kite got entangled in a pole and he was trying to pull it down. He climbed the pole and was electrocuted. He died on the spot,” said a senior police officer.

The incident was reported around 8 am on Sunday. Kumar was rushed to a nearby hospital where he was declared brought dead. In Uttam Nagar in west Delhi, a 17-year-old boy stepped into a puddle that had a live electric wire in it .

Rahul Kumar was on his way to the market when he stepped into the water that had accumulated below a 11,000-volt transformer.

“Someone had left a live electricity water unattended in the water. When Kumar stepped into it, he was electrocuted and died at the spot. We have registered a case of negligence and are looking into the matter,” a senior police officer said. Kumar was a resident of Mohan Garden and a student of Indian Technical Institute, Pusa Road.

A 40-year-old man was electrocuted at his apartment in Neb Sarai area of south Delhi. Anand Vijay worked as a manager in a private firm. According to the police, Vijay was in his third-floor residence in Deoli Extension in Neb Sarai around 8 in the morning.

“Anand was coming down from the terrace carrying a bucket of water. His body came in contact with a live wire and he got electrocuted,” said a police officer.

A 32-year-old man similarly died in his RK Puram house in South Delhi. Sajid Alam, a dhaba owner, was drenched by the rain on Saturday when he touched a switch.

A 32-year-old housewife was also electrocuted inside her bathroom.