Four siblings were charred to death while their mother suffered burn injuries after a fire broke out in the early hours of Wednesday, at their house in a slum cluster in Sarita Vihar area of southeast district.
According to police, the incident was reported at around 1:30 am from New Priyanka Camp area of Sarita Vihar.
Police said that the deceased, Deepa (14), Shilpa (10), Sunil (8) and Laxmi (5) were sleeping inside their house along with their mother Anu (40), when the fire broke out, apparently due to a spark in electric wires passing above their cottage.
Seven fire tenders worked for hours to douse the flames. A fire official said by the time they reached the spot, the children had been charred to death.
He added that the blaze had also engulfed the adjacent cottage. Luckily, occupants of
that house had already vacated the place.
The mother of the victims, Anu, who suffered burn injuries on the face, told police that her children were sleeping in one room of the house, while she was in another room.
“Deepa was the first who witnessed the fire and raised an alarm. She was screaming for help from inside the room, where she and three of my other children were trapped. Hearing their screams, I woke up and tried to save them, but in vain. In the process, I suffered burn injuries on the face. By the time my neighbours reached the house and saved me, my children were trapped in heavy fire,” said Anu.
Her husband Komal Rai had died two years ago.
Police suspect the fire might have occurred either due to a spark in the electric wires or due to half-burnt coals left in an oven in the house.
Police have registered a case under section 336 and 304-A of the IPC against unknown persons and are looking into the matter. The bodies of the four deceased children have been sent to AIIMS for post-mortem examination.