Four-time MLA, aides had beaten up govt staff | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jun 28, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Four-time MLA, aides had beaten up govt staff

A Delhi court on Tuesday sentenced a sitting Congress MLA and a former municipal councillor to three years in prison for obstructing a sealing drive in 2001. HT reports.

delhi Updated: Jan 29, 2013 23:33 IST
HT Correspondent

A Delhi court on Tuesday sentenced a sitting Congress MLA and a former municipal councillor to three years in prison for obstructing a sealing drive in 2001.

Congress MLA Mateen Ahmed and former municipal councillor Jameer Ahmed allegedly tried to stop a drive to seal polluting industries in northeast Delhi on the Supreme Court’s orders.

Metropolitan magistrate Dharmender Rana held the Congress MLA from Seelampur and the former councillor guilty of rioting, assaulting and causing hurt to prevent public servants from discharging of their duty.

The incident took place on January 7, 2001, when Punjabi Bagh circle SDM E Raja Babu and his team went to Jafrabad area in northeast Delhi to seal a factory belonging to one Ashraf. The judge said the accused publicly assaulted the government officers, who were following the Supreme Court’s orders.

The judge said, “A leader is expected to lead by conduct…….It is a very dangerous trend for our democracy that some persons openly and impudently dare to defy the judgments of the apex court and consider themselves to be law….”

The prosecution had accused six men in the case. Of the six accused, Mateen Ahmed and Jameer Ahmed were convicted, while Sultan Ahmed and Mohammed Ashraf were acquitted. Two accused, Nadeem Tehelvi and Najim Naqvi, died during the course of the trial.

The judge issued notices to the SDM and his associate, who was injured in the rioting, as they had turned hostile.

“Complainant E Raja Babu and Virender Singh are also summoned through Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP) concerned, directing them to explain as to why appropriate perjury proceedings shouldn’t be initiated against them,” said the judge. The case is scheduled for hearing on February 7.

The court rejected the MLA’s plea for leniency on the grounds that he is an MLA for the past four terms and had been serving people for the past 20 years.

The court imposed a fine of R30,000 on each of the two 55-year-old convicts whose sentences were suspended for a month to enable them to file an appeal against the judgement. They were granted bail on a personal bond of R20,000 each with one surety.