Never too far away from controversy, the Organising Committee of the Commonwealth Games has now rubbed the National Cadet Corps (NCC) the wrong way.
The Games panel has decided to deploy only half of the 5,000 cadets who were training to be volunteers, leaving the rest in the lurch.
The cadets had been training for around a year at the cost of their academics. The NCC says it is demoralised. The Committee informed the NCC last week that it has no requirement for 2,500 cadets who were preparing to be volunteers at the Games.
The number of NCC volunteers required was estimated to be 5,000 last year. But now, the Committee has decided to do away with 2,500 cadets who are not from Delhi or National Capital Region (NCR).
In a letter to Committee Chairman Suresh Kalmadi, NCC Director General Lt Gen R.K. Karwal stated, “Your decision to do away with the requirement of 2,500 cadet volunteers from other states at this belated stage would result in a major disappointment for the aspiring cadets and their parents and be demoralising for the organisation.”
The NCC has pleaded with the Committee to reconsider its decision. The panel, however, is not budging.
In the letter dated May 11, Gen Karwal said a lot of effort had gone into the selection process and the cadets had also sacrificed their time in preparing to be volunteers at the cost of their academic curriculum.
He said the cadets were enthusiastically looking forward to taking part in the international event.
Kalmadi wrote to Gen Karwal on May 14 that “the decision on the overall requirement for volunteers has been taken after due deliberations and in the best interest of smooth preparation and conduct of the Games.”
The Committee has told the NCC that an adequate number of volunteers, including NCC cadets, belonging to Delhi and NCR are available and there is no requirement for additional cadets from outside.