Gored boy survives critical injury | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 21, 2017-Friday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Gored boy survives critical injury

From being “a few seconds away from death" to getting back to live a normal life”, seven-year-old Master Vishu has come a long way, reports Rhythma Kaul.

delhi Updated: Nov 16, 2009 23:44 IST
Rhythma Kaul

From being “a few seconds away from death" to getting back to live a normal life”, seven-year-old Master Vishu has come a long way.

Battling for his life in the intensive care unit (ICU) of New Delhi’s Indraprastha Apollo hospital for four months after a mad bull gored him while he was coming back from school in his Uttar Pradesh village, doctors acknowledged many times he was in a precarious condition.

Now all that remains of the traumatic experience at his village, 20km away from district headquarters Ghaziabad, are scars on his chest and abdomen.

These scars represent the four major life-saving surgeries carried out on him between April 29 and August 29 — the dates of his admission and discharge, respectively.

“People with this extent of internal damage rarely survive. His is a miraculous case,” said Dr Anupam Sibal, senior consultant paediatric gastroenterologist and hepatologist at Apollo and a member of the team of doctors that handled Vishu’s case, that included Dr Raja Joshi, senior consultant paediatric cardiothoracic and vascular surgeon.

Vishu’s parents were told the criticality of the case right at the beginning.

“They possibly didn’t sleep a wink during those four months. His father would check on him every 15 minutes just to ensure he was alive,” said Sanjay Kumar Singh, Vishu’s uncle who is an electrician.

“The surgeries were a gamble. But we still gave the go ahead because we had no choice. If our boy had to die anyway, the least we could do was to let the doctors give their best shot,” said Ravinder Kumar Singh, Vishu’s father, who is a farmer.

Rekha Devi, the boy’s mother is relieved. “Look at Vishu now, no one can guess what he went through during past seven months, unless his shirt is removed,” she said.

As for Vishu, he seemed to have a whiff of his close encounter. Ask him what happened, and he is quick to roll up his T-shirt to show the scars.

The best thing is the trauma is a thing of past, and Vishu has is fully recovered and can lead a normal life.

“The good part about the liver is it regenerates faster, and vein rupture once healed well, doesn’t create any problem later. So, there’s nothing to worry, the boy is absolutely fine now,” said Dr Joshi.

His parents, however, are a little vary of sending him to school now — he studied in Class II at the village school.

“Though the doctors have given their consent, we would want him to take rest. May be next year we’ll send him back to school,” said his uncle.