Discoms to have licences cancelled if power outages continue: Kejriwal | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 23, 2017-Wednesday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Discoms to have licences cancelled if power outages continue: Kejriwal

The Delhi government on Tuesday warned discoms that it would not hesitate from cancelling their licences if they failed to improve the city’s power situation. Delhi has witnessed a series of power outages since last week.

delhi Updated: May 25, 2016 00:54 IST
HT Correspondent
The Delhi government on Tuesday warned discoms that it would not hesitate from cancelling their licences if they failed to improve the city’s power situation. Delhi  witnessed a series of power outages since last week.
The Delhi government on Tuesday warned discoms that it would not hesitate from cancelling their licences if they failed to improve the city’s power situation. Delhi witnessed a series of power outages since last week.(Hindustan Times File Photo)

The Delhi government on Tuesday warned discoms that it would not hesitate from cancelling their licences if they failed to improve the city’s power situation. Delhi witnessed a series of power outages since last week.

The warning was conveyed by chief minister Arvind Kejriwal in a meeting attended by representatives of the private distribution companies BSES, Tata Power (TPDDL) and the chairman of the Delhi Electricity Regulatory Commission (DERC).

Power minister Satyendar Jain, who was present, said the policy on getting consumers compensated for unscheduled power cuts will be implemented within a week and that DERC will issue a notification in this regard.

“The chief minister has given them (discoms) a week’s time to take corrective measures and made it clear that strict action will be taken otherwise. We will not hesitate to consider cancelling their licences,” Jain said.

Read more:Unprepared Delhiites gearing up to face long power outages

“There’s no shortage of power in the city but the outages are due to local faults. A compensation formula will be implemented within a week. Discoms will decide how to implement it,” Jain added.

The number of power outages has shot up since last week, ever since the mercury surged.

A senior government official said the discoms could not offer a “single explanation” behind the outages, despite there being no shortage of power in the national capital.

“The government has categorically asked them to set their house in order,” the official said.

“The discoms have not built adequate infrastructure. They say we have put up cables but whenever there is overload those cables snap as they are of inferior quality. We have directed the companies to arrange mobile transformers,” Jain had said on Monday.

Delhi’s power demand hit an all-time high of 6,188 MW on May 20. The power demand is expected to rise by July. Tuesday’s peak load was relatively low at 4,834 MW, as the weather slightly cooled down after Monday’s rain.

Read more: Sizzling Delhi quenches power thirst, demand reaches all-time high of 6,188 MW

The discoms have been asked to deploy additional breakdown and maintenance teams to minimise the number of complaints. They have been asked to strengthen their call centres by doubling the existing capacity and suitably enhancing telephone lines, while deploying more personnel so that each and every call is registered and resolved.