HC rejects Jogi's plea over sting operation
Dismissing a batch of petitions filed by Amit Jogi and 3 others in connection with a sting operation against ex-Union Minister DS Judeo, Delhi HC says they are not authorised to carry out any investigation.delhi Updated: May 30, 2008 22:14 IST
The Delhi High Court on Friday rejected a plea by Amit Jogi, son of former Chhatisgarh Chief Minister Ajit Jogi, and three other accused challenging a trial court's order on charge against them in connection with a sting operation against former Union Minister Dilip Singh Judeo.
Dismissing a batch of petitions filed by Arvind Vijay Mohan, Bhupinder Singh Patel, Rajat Prasad besides Jogi, Justice Sanjay Kishan Kaul said "They are neither police officers nor were authorised by any one to carry out any investigation. Therefore, it cannot be held that they were conducting any proceeding under the code."
"...But entrapment of any person should not be resorted and can not be permitted unless a right approach is taken in accordance with the law of the land," the court observed in a judgement.
On April 25 last year, a Delhi court had framed charges against Judeo and five others after finding prima-facie evidence against them in the case.
The court also framed charges against Judeo's former private secretary Natwar Rateria, who was caught on camera when the former minister was allegedly receiving cash and four others, including Jogi.
The CBI has alleged that Judeo, who was the Forest and Environment Minister in the NDA government, and Rateria had received a bribe of Rs nine lakh at Hotel Taj Mansingh Palace in New Delhi on November 5, 2003. The bribe money was offered by Patel, a journalist, who had carried out the sting operation at Jogi's behest.
The sting operation, later telecast on various news channels, was plotted to derive political mileage in favour of the then Chhatisgarh CM Ajit jogi as Assembly elections were scheduled in November, 2003 as per the chargesheet.