Child killed by manjha ‘couldn’t even shout, died in father’s lap’
Two kids who had gone out for a drive with their parents on Independence Day, were killed after a kite string (manja) slit their throats as they stuck their heads out the sunroof windows of their cars.delhi Updated: Aug 17, 2016 01:27 IST
Two kids who had gone out for a drive with their parents on Independence Day, were killed after a kite string (manja) slit their throats as they stuck their heads out the sunroof windows of their cars.
One incident was reported from northwest Delhi’s Rani Bagh and the other from west Delhi’s Tilak Nagar.
In the first incident, Sanchi Goyal was returning to her Deepali Enclave home from Naraina after watching a movie when the incident happened at Britannia Chowk.
According to the police, Sanchi was sitting on her mother’s lap on the passenger seat when she wanted to look out of the window of their Honda City car.
Her father Alok opened the window and her mother held her out of the sunroof. As she stood up, a kite string came in her way and her throat was slit. She collapsed on her mother’s lap.
Police said the string cut the girl’s vocal chords and windpipe, causing instant death.
The parents rushed her to Bhagwan Mahavir Hospital, half-a-kilometre from the spot, where she was declared dead on arrival.
“The manja had cut through her neck, including the windpipe. The cut was so deep she died instantly. The hospital authorities made a PCR call and a police team reached the spot. Her body has been sent for postmortem,” a senior police officer said.
In the other case, Harry (4), had put his head out of the sunroof window of his Swift Dzire car when the thread cut his throat.
“He could not even shout. He just collapsed on his father’s lap, bleeding from his neck. The father rushed him to the hospital and he was told that the kite string slit his windpipe,” a senior police officer said. “The boy had gone for a long drive to celebrate Independence Day with his parents,” he added.
A case of negligence has been registered in both incidents and investigation has begun, police said. “A piece of the manja was stuck to the girl’s shirt. We have preserved it and sent it for examination. It appears to be one of those Chinese manja available in the market at a cheap price. It is difficult to trace the neighbourhood from where the kite was being flown but we will raid shops selling the manja,” a senior police officer said.
The parents did not speak to the media. “Sanchi was their only daughter. They had gone for a vacation to Singapore last month. We were shocked to see the car seat soaked in blood. People selling manja should be given harsh punishment. Nothing, however, can bring back their daughter,” a neighbour told HT.
8-year-old boy injured
An eight-year-old boy was injured after the string of a kite slit his throat in Ghaziabad on Monday evening. Aryan was out with his father when the manja was stuck in his throat.
The boy, who was rushed to a nearby hospital, received nearly 20-24 stitches on his throat.
The boy’s father Raja Kumar said he had taken his children for an outing on Monday evening on the main road near NH-24 when the incident happened.
“It was a plastic manja that was stuck in his throat. He was sitting in front of the bike. Suddenly, he started shouting for help and there was a lot of blood on the petrol tank of the bike. I went helpless and immediately rushed him to a nearby doctor. He landed up with nearly 20-24 stitches and is presently at home,” Kumar said.
Sub-inspector among 2 hurt by manja
Two people, including a police sub-inspector, sustained severe injuries after their throats were cut by kite strings (manja).
One incident was reported from Anand Vihar and the other from Ghazipur over the last two days.
In the first incident, sub-inspector Manoj Kumar, posted at Anand Vihar, was injured while he was patrolling the area. A kite string came in his way and his throat was cut. He sustained a deep wound.
“He was crossing River Cross mall when the kite string grazed his neck, injuring him. He stopped his bike, and tied his handkerchief around his neck to stop the blood flow. He was rushed to a hospital and has been admitted for treatment,” a senior police officer said.
In another case, a 21-year-old biker was injured while he was on his way to Jafrabad. Sajid was rushed to the hospital by the pillion rider and has been admitted for treatment.
“The kite string was so sharp that it cut one of his nerves in the neck and he collapsed. He was taken to the hospital and is undergoing a surgery. His condition is said to be critical,” a senior police officer said.
Police have registered cases of negligence in both matters.