Highlights of President's Independence Day-eve address
Here are the highlights of President Pratibha Patil's Independence Day-eve address to the nation.delhi Updated: Aug 14, 2009 21:33 IST
The following are the highlights of President Pratibha Patil's Independence Day-eve address to the nation:
* Democracy, inclusive economic development, social empowerment and the value system based on our heritage are the building blocks of our nationhood.
* The voice of every citizen is important and the principle of inclusiveness is integral to democracy.
* Each elected MP has an obligation to work for the welfare of the people and the progress of the nation.
* Need to have an effective governance system which is more transparent and accountable.
* Implementation of the flagship programs of the government will have to be at optimal levels for an impact to be made on the lives of the people.
* Administrators must be responsive to the needs of the people.
* Government is taking all possible steps to deal with less than normal monsoon situation this year.
* H1N1 influenza situation is being tackled by the government.
* Citizens need to join hands with the government in nation building and development initiatives.
* Even in the face of a global slowdown we must continue for our economic growth.
* Focus should be on strengthening our academic institutions and research facilities to achieve excellence.
* Weaker and the vulnerable sections need to be provided with the tools of empowerment - access to education, health and skill-building.
* Right of Children to Free and Compulsory Education Bill is a landmark legislation for achieving our goal of universal education.
* India should build its destiny on a culture of peace and harmony. There should be harmony between good traditions and progress.
* Terrorism must be defeated in the interest of the collective goal of humankind to build peaceful societies and a peaceful world.
* Communal harmony holds the key to progress.