Husain show resumes after disruption
MF Hussian's exhibition resumes after being hurriedly called off following alleged threats from Hindu fundamentalists over his nude depiction of Hindu goddesses.delhi Updated: Dec 23, 2007 21:44 IST
An exhibition of the limited edition prints of eminent artist MF Husain resumed on Sunday in the capital after it was hurriedly called off a day ago following alleged threats from Hindu fundamentalists over his nude depiction of Hindu goddesses.
The India International Centre (IIC), a culture hub of the capital, decided to resume the solo show after a "brief disruption" following a meeting of its directors late Saturday night. "It opened at 11 am on Sunday and closed at 5 pm," an IIC official said. The show would continue.
The exhibition, featuring 20 odd prints of Mughal India, curated by Dolly Narang and the IIC, was culled from Fida Museum, the artist's studio-cum-home in London. It has been inspired by K Asif's "Mughal-e-Azam" and is a tribute to Indian cinema.
"This is one of the biggest Husain shows since 1988," artist Anjolie Ela Menon said on Monday, the day it was inaugurated.
This is the not the first time a Husain show has courted trouble. Earlier this year, a painting of "Bharat Mata", depicting a nude woman, had offended Hindu sentiments. Husain had to apologise for the painting.