‘I want to forget that day’ | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2017-Sunday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

‘I want to forget that day’

That’s what Supratim Dutta, who survived after a five-feet-long iron rod pierced his body, said after checking out of AIIMS after 18 days.

delhi Updated: Jul 29, 2008 23:55 IST
Rhythma Kaul

The confidence with which 23-year-old Supratim Dutta walked into the room in a navy blue shirt and black trousers on Tuesday, no one present could believe that it's the same person. Two weeks ago, Supratim was rushed to AIIMS with a five-foot iron angle penetrated in his abdomen and chest.

“I am feeling much better today,” is what Dutta said when asked about his condition. He was with his father Sukumar Dutta and maternal grandfather RM Dass.

When reminded about the day of the accident, Dutta said: “I just want to erase that particular day from my memory, as it is too painful to be remembered. It is over and I want to move on now.”

Such was the condition of Supratim the day of his accident that his father couldn’t muster enough courage to see him. “I couldn’t look at my son with that iron bar inside his body. It was a terrible feeling,” said his father.

Dutta's father and grandfather broke down several times while narrating their ordeal. “We thank god and our guru ji for giving back our son,” said an emotional father. The grandfather added, “We couldn’t thank AIIMS and its doctors enough.”

The family also read a letter written to them by the Bible Society of India, which appreciated the grit and gumption showed by Dutta at the time of the accident.

The family is now readying to hold a pooja now that Supratim has been discharged from the hospital. “That would be our way of thanking god for saving our son’s life,” said Dass, his grandfather.

And to all the people who might have to face any dissifult situation at any point in time, Supratim had this advice: “Just don’t give up and you’ll find everything fall into place.”

On Saturday morning, July 12, the office cab Dutta was traveling in hit a metro construction site near Ghitorni on the Mehrauli-Gurgaon road and a five-foot-long iron angle penetrated the bonnet of the cab and impaled through his abdomen and chest. It took doctors over three hours of intense surgical procedure to save the young man.