The Joint Admission Board (JAB) of the IITs on Saturday endorsed the formula backed by the Centre to resolve a standoff with the IIT faculty over changes in the joint entrance examination (JEE) norms.
HT reported on June 21 how the HRD ministry informally circulated the new plan among the IITs earlier in the week to break the deadlock.
The JAB, responsible for working out the details of the JEE, consists of IIT directors and JEE chairmen who supported the ministry's plans from the start. The revised plan is likely to be approved by the IIT Council, which meets on June 27.
Sources said the proposal -after approval by the Council - will once again be sent to the different IIT Senates for final ratification. The new proposal will be enforced from 2013.
"It appears our efforts are seeing some results and we will soon see an amicable solution," said a senior IIT-B professor.
In the new proposal, board performance will be used as cut-off only, as per the existing practice. But instead of looking at 60% cut-off, there will be a cut-off based possibly on the top 20 percentile of each board.