India takes note of Chinese move on N-reactors in Pak
India today said it has taken "note" of the move by China to go ahead with supply of two additional nuclear reactors to Pakistan.delhi Updated: Sep 24, 2010 19:36 IST
India on Friday said it has taken "note" of the move by China to go ahead with supply of two additional nuclear reactors to Pakistan.
"We have seen those statements...and we have noted those statements. Let's see how it evolves. We are not members of NSG," sources here said when asked if India was concerned over China's plans for building two more nuclear reactors in Pakistan.
The Chinese move has triggered persistent concerns on the safety of atomic materials in restive Pakistan.
Earlier this week, the Chinese Foreign Affairs ministry said Beijing has informed International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) about its plans to build two more nuclear power plants at Chashma In Pakistan in addition to the earlier two units.
India has been discussing its concerns with its friends and interlocutors in Nuclear Suppliers Group (NSG) about the China-Pakistan nuclear deal.
Significantly, unruffled by global concerns, Beijing and Islamabad are in talks to build a new nuclear reactor in Pakistan of one gigawatt capacity, which would be fifth and more than three times powerful than the existing ones is being proposed to be built without China notifying either the IAEA or the NSG.
Qiu Jiangang, Vice President of the state-run China National Nuclear Corporation (CNNC), which has already built Pakistan's main nuclear facility at Chashma in Punjab province, said his company was in talks to set up another giant nuclear plant in Pakistan.
"Both sides are in discussion over the CNNC exporting a one gigawatt nuclear plant to Pakistan", Qiu told a meeting in Beijing without giving any details.
Qiu, the top official of the CNNC giving details about the progress of Pakistani nuclear reactors said that besides the main plant at Chashma, his company was completing a second reactor there and has contracts to build two more 300 megawatt reactors, the Wall Street Journal reported.
Qiu said the first reactor was operating safely and the second one was being tested and expected to start formal operations by the end of the year.