Katara case's verdict likely today | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 17, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Katara case's verdict likely today

A city court on Tuesday fixes the date for pronouncement of verdict in the six-year-old Nitish Katara murder case for Wednesday. Naziya Alvi reports.

delhi Updated: May 28, 2008 01:32 IST
Naziya Alvi

A city court on Tuesday fixed the date for pronouncement of verdict in the six-year-old Nitish Katara murder case for Wednesday. Disposing of the defence application seeking re-examination of a few witnesses, including a crucial one Ajay Katara, court said it has not found any “justifiable” reason to do so. Meanwhile, the defence on Tuesday approached the Delhi High Court and moved an application for urgent hearing to re-examine the key witness Ajay Katara.

How Nitish was killed

According to the prosecution, on the fateful night of February 16, Nitish along with his friends including Bharti Yadav had gone to attend the wedding of a common friend Shivani Gaur Vikas and Vishal, who were also present in the party abducted Nitish from the banquet hall Diamond Palace in Ghaziabad.

He was forced to sit in their Safari SUV car. A day later his charred body was found at Bulandshahr-Pahasu Road in Uttar Pradesh.

The body was so badly charred that the police had to conduct a DNA test to ascertain that it was Nitish’s body.

The case progress

The case, which was initially being heard in Ghaziabad court, was transferred to Delhi following a Supreme Court direction after Nitish Katara’s mother Neelam Katara pleaded that she did not expect a fair trial at Ghaziabad, as Yadavs are quite influential in Uttar Pradesh.

In November 2002, the court framed charges against Vikas and Vishal Yadav under Sections 302 (murder), Section 364 (Kidnapping or abducting in order to murder).

In the six years of the case, a total of 71 witnesses were examined out of which the prosecution examined 45 witnesses. But it was the examination of a key witness and sister of the accused Bharti Yadav, which dragged the trial for a long time.

After eluding for over three years, Bharti finally appeared in November 2006, but turned hostile. She denied being in a relationship with Nitish.