Ahead of the Independence Day celebrations, the power distribution companies have warned revellers against flying kites around electricity supply lines as the adventure can cause fire and outage due to short-circuit.
There have been several cases of people getting electrocuted after kite strings entangled in power cables. Such accidents rise during Independence Day, according to electricity department.
Kites are usually flown with strings that are coated with a mixture of glue and glass powder, known as manja, which makes the strings sharp.
“The manja is a good conductor of electricity. Snapped kites with their strings get entangled in the high-tension supply lines and the manja causes short-circuits or sparks. As a defence mechanism, local substations immediately trip causing failure in supply,” said a senior official of the department.
Short-circuits can also cause overheating, circuit damage, fire, or even explosion in the entire installation. Tripping of just one 33/66 KV overhead line can disrupt power supply to over 10,000 residents. “If a single unit of 11KV trips, more than 2,500 consumers can be affected,” said a BSES official.
Last year, a total of 48 cases of kite-flying related power failure were reported from BSES area, he said, adding that no new-age technology has been able to protect power installations from this age-old, otherwise harmless act of celebration.
According to experts, the high-tension cables (220-KV and 66-KV), where short-circuits occur, cannot be coated with insulation material as such cables need frequent cooling.