Man named in Micromax scam surrenders
An accused in the bribery case allegedly involving Micromax co-founder Rajesh Agarwal was on Tuesday sent to CBI custody for seven days after he surrendered before a Delhi court.delhi Updated: Oct 16, 2013 01:10 IST
An accused in the bribery case allegedly involving Micromax co-founder Rajesh Agarwal was on Tuesday sent to CBI custody for seven days after he surrendered before a Delhi court.
Special CBI judge Poonam Bamba remanded Kapil Deo in CBI custody till October 22 after the agency said he was required for custodial interrogation.
Accused Kapil Deo, who was named in the October 4 chargesheet along with nine others, had been eluding the probe agency in the investigation.
On August 7, the CBI had arrested Agarwal who was then director of Micromax Informatics — one of the country’s top mobile-handset makers — along with his alleged associate Manish Tuli for allegedly giving a bribe of `30 lakh to two junior employees of the North Delhi Municipal Corporation to get permission for setting up a banquet hall in north Delhi.
In the ensuing chargesheet, the CBI had accused Agarwal of carrying out “unauthorised construction of a banquet hall” in Wazirpur industrial area.
The CBI had accused the others, which included engineers of the Delhi Development Authority (DDA) and the North Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC), of demanding `1 crore as illegal gratification for allowing them to regularise the unauthorised construction. It said that the bribe amount was finally settled at `50 lakh.
Along with Agarwal and Tuli, the CBI had named NDMC engineers Mahender Kumar Gupta, Rajesh Wadhwa, Satish Kumar, Naresh Kumar, Sanjay Kumar, R K Sethi, DDA engineer Rajesh Gupta and Kapil Deo in its chargesheet.
The CBI had told the court that during the probe, `1.1 crore had been recovered from the accused.