Most murders in Delhi due to trivial issues | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Oct 22, 2017-Sunday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Most murders in Delhi due to trivial issues

You would think issues like using the toilet first or refusal to give a water bottle were minor affairs, but these trivial matters can result in someone getting killed in the capital.

delhi Updated: Jan 02, 2010 16:53 IST

You would think issues like using the toilet first or refusal to give a water bottle were minor affairs, but these trivial matters can result in someone getting killed in the capital.

An analysis of Delhi Police statistics shows that 94 per cent of the murder accused in the year gone by were first-timers and most of the killings took place due to sudden provocative incidents.

According to Delhi Police Commissioner YS Dadwal, these might be as trivial as a fight over standing on the footboard of a bus, over taking shikanji (lime water) at a stall first and the deceased kicking the dog of the accused.

The profile of the murder victims shows that 94 per cent of the victims come from the low income group, five per cent from the middle income group, and a measly one per cent from the higher income group.

A majority of 77 per cent are men and the rest 23 per cent women.

While Delhi ranks 12th as far as crime rate in 35 major cities is concerned, the capital is only 21st in the list if
just murders are taken into account.

Most of the murders in the capital last year were committed using sharp-edged weapons, while firearms were used in 11 per cent of the cases.

While the number of murders has decreased only marginally from 528 in 2008 to 523 in 2009, detection of murder cases has gone down by 3 per cent. "This is largely due to recovery of a large number of bodies which could not be identified," he said.