Murder on V-Day night | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 20, 2017-Thursday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

Murder on V-Day night

A guard of the The Host restaurant in the inner circle in Connaught Place’s F-Block was found murdered inside its kitchen.

delhi Updated: Feb 16, 2009 13:14 IST
HT Correspondent

A guard of a prominent restaurant in Connaught Place was found murdered inside its kitchen on Sunday morning.

The incident took place at the The Host restaurant in the inner circle in Connaught Place’s F-Block. His co-workers, who arrived for the morning shift before the restaurant opened, discovered his body around half-past-seven and informed police. They also discovered that the cash box had been broken into and the restaurant robbed of Rs 1.75 lakh.

Rajesh Thakur (32), from Bihar’s Samastipur, had been working at the restaurant for the past five months. He had been hit and then stabbed with a blunt object.

“He was stationed at the back alley of the restaurant. The incident took place after 1 am after the place had closed for the day. Prima facie it looks like the guard knew his attackers, as entry into the kitchen was not forced. We also found two glasses with alcohol inside the kitchen,” a senior police officer said.

The restaurant had been crowded on Saturday, being Valentine’s Day as well as the weekend.

“The restaurant was open till late at night and till then everything was fine. The incident must have taken place after that,” manager Arun Kumar said.

Though the incident took place in the back alley of the restaurant, no one heard anything.

“My shop was open till 1 am. But I did not hear anything or see anything unusual,” said Ravikant Tiwari, who owns a cigarette stall next to the restaurant.

“I was here the whole night and was posted at the front door. However, neither did I hear nor see anything suspicious,” said S.N. Jha, another security guard at the restaurant, who has been working here for almost 10 years.

Thakur is survived by his wife and two children. His sister and brother-in-law, who stay in the city, have been informed. The body has been sent for postmortem.