Defence minister AK Antony on Wednesday said he has ordered an inquiry into fresh allegations of sexual misconduct levelled by the wife of a Navy officer posted in Karwar and will take "strongest" action if anyone is found guilty.
"The moment I got the complaint, I ordered an inquiry. Now let us wait for the inquiry report. Whenever complaints come, we order inquiry," he told reporters when asked if the Government was taking any action against the particular officer.
The minister was speaking on the sidelines of a Transparency International function on defence procurement.
"We took strong action in the last few days. We have taken action against persons who are guilty. I do not want to jump to any conclusion. Depending on the inquiry report, If anyone is found guilty, we will take strongest action," he said.
However, the minister did not comment on alleged attempt by the Navy Headquarters to dismiss the fresh allegations by the wife of the officer as those arising out of marital discord.
The wife of the senior officer has charged her husband with forcing her to get "sexually involved" with his colleagues.
She alleged that her husband, who is a Lieutenant Commander (equivalent to a Major in Army) posted at the Naval Ship Repair Yard (NSRY) in Karwar, "forced me to get sexually involved with his colleagues and consume alcohol."
The woman, who says she has shifted to her maternal home after this episode, has accused her husband of physical and mental torture.
An MBA, she got married in February last year to the officer. The woman alleged that her husband had threatened that if she disclosed about his deeds to anyone, "he would put up my nude pictures on Internet to spoil my image socially".
The officer could not be reached for his comments.