Naxals planted explosives on slain security personnel in Jharkhand
The Maoists left the bodies of five security personnel - who were killed in the Latehar - tied with bombs in an attempt to booby-trap the rescue teams and inflict more injuries on them. Rajesh Ahuja reports.delhi Updated: Jan 27, 2013 15:34 IST
The Maoists left the bodies of five security personnel- who were killed in the Latehar encounter- tied with explosives in an attempt to booby-trap the rescue teams and inflict more injuries on them.
As many as 10 security personnel were killed in the encounter that took place near Katila locality of Amuatikar village in Latehar district of Jharkhand.
The CRPF's 134 and 112 battalions and Jharkhand Jaguar personnel were engaged in the anti-naxal operations when the encounter took place. Nine CRPF personnel and one Jharkhand policeman lost their lives in the encounter.
"Two bodies of security personnel exploded when villagers were trying to remove them. Three more bodies have been left booby trapped, most likely with pressure bombs or improvised explosive devices. They are in the process of being diffused and extracted," said a security source.
Sources also disclosed that Latehar and Sukma have emerged as new hotbeds of naxals who were cornered in the last year.
With fewer weapon-snatching and incidents and killing of security personnel, 2012 was considered as a better year for the security forces.
Maoists have been thrown out of their comfort zones last year. Now, they are trying to move back in order to recapture their lost havens.
"This is beginning of the new phase in which Maoists may indulge in more such brutal acts to get out of the security ring," said a source.
Encounter death toll rises to 12
: The death toll of the encounter has risen to 12, said sources on Wednesday. Meanwhile, three civilians have also been killed in the IED explosion carried out by the Maoists.
According to the locals, two villagers, who had gone there to lift the bodies of security personnel, were still missing.
CRPF DG Pranaya Sahay on Wednesday reached Nawadih base camp to take stock of the ground situation.
"Tying explosives with the dead bodies reveals that it is an atrocity by the naxals; they do not spare even the dead bodies," STF SP B Chandramohan told HT.