NHRC desists from any further inquiry on Ramlila crackdown
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has decided to "desist from making any further inquiry" into the crackdown on yoga guru Ramdev's protest at Ramlila Maidan in June after Delhi Police argued that the Supreme Court has been seized of the matter.delhi Updated: Sep 28, 2011 16:21 IST
The National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) has decided to "desist from making any further inquiry" into the crackdown on yoga guru Ramdev's protest at Ramlila Maidan in June after Delhi Police argued that the Supreme Court has been seized of the matter.
The decision was taken last month by the Commission during proceedings of the matter after Delhi Police informed the rights body that the apex court has taken suo motu cognisance of the matter and was dealing with it.
"The Supreme Court being seized of the matter, this Commission would desist from making further inquiry in the incident... Copy of any further order passed by the Supreme Court in the matter should also be forwarded to the Commission," the NHRC said in its order dated August 18.
However, it said, the body was concerned about the health of Rajbala, who was severely injured in the incident and died two days ago, and asked Delhi chief secretary to inform the Commission about the status of her health.
The Chief Secretary should also inform the Commission if the Delhi government has provided any ex-gratia relief to her, the Commission said in its order.
However, Delhi government failed to meet the September 23 deadline set by the NHRC on filing the report on the health condition of Rajbala. She died in hospital on September 26.
The NHRC had on June six, two days after the police crackdown at Ramlila Maidan, asked the Centre, Delhi government and Delhi Police to submit reports within two weeks.
Delhi Police in its two reports submitted with NHRC on June 17 and 23 had pointed out that the Supreme Court had taken suo-motu cognisance of the incident, following which the decision to "desist from any further inquiry" was taken.
Serving the notice in June, the NHRC had said it was "pained to see media reports and complaints alleging unconstitutional police action at midnight involving shelling of tear gas shells, lathicharge and forceful eviction of a large number of people sleeping under the pandal."
In its second report, Delhi Police said that permission was granted to Bharat Swabhiman Trust, subject to certain conditions, to organise a yoga training camp for 4,000 to 5,000 people, to be conducted by Ramdev from June 1 to 20.
"However, the event was converted into a Satyagraha with a large gathering which swelled to more than 50,000. Also, there were intelligence reports indicating threats to Ramdev and apprehension of breach of peace due to close proximity with communally hypersensitive localities around the venue.
"Hence, it was considered expedient to cancel the permission and impose prohibitory orders under section 144 CrPC. The organisers were requested to remove themselves from the area. The request was not complied with and Ramdev jumped into the crowd of supporters, which created a commotion and this resulted in a melee and skirmishes with the police," the report said.
48 people from the public and 38 police personnel sustained injuries. All of them, except Rajbala, were discharged from hospital either on the same day or on the next day after first aid or diagnostic tests.
The report further said that two persons -- Anil Kumar and Shri Parvesh Sharma -- were reported missing but later they reached home safely.