Traffic was likely to be affected in parts of Delhi on Wednesday due to the funeral procession of spiritual leader Satguru Baba Hardev Singh, head of the Sant Nirankari mission, at Nigam Bodh Ghat.
“Traffic is closed from Kingsway Camp to Burari Road due to heavy pedestrian movement. Motorists are advised to take alternate route,” the Delhi Traffic Police tweeted.
The procession will be held between 8 am and 12 in the afternoon. The spiritual leader died in a road accident in Canada on Saturday.
Traffic is closed from Kingsway Camp to Burari Road due to heavy pedestrian movement. Motorists are advised to take alternate route.— Delhi Traffic Police (@dtptraffic) May 18, 2016
The body has been kept on a stage at Burari in north Delhi for his followers to pay their last respects. Hundreds of followers have set up tents and will take part in the funeral procession on Wednesday.
The funeral will pass through Burari Chowk, Outer Ring road, Kingsway Camp, Delhi University metro station, IP College,Chandhi Ram Akhaara, Ring Road, ISBT and reach Nigam Bodh Ghat.
Joint commissioner of police(traffic) Sharad Yadav said people should avoid certain routes such as Mall Road from Azadpur Terminal to IP College.
He asked people to avoid Outer Ring Road passing through Burari and Burari road from Kingsway Camp to Sant Nagar. Police will evaluate the diversions on Ring Road outside Nigambogh Ghat depending on the procession.
Delhi Traffic Police Advisory
Commuters to avoid the following routes:
- Mall Road from Azadpur Terminal to IP College from 8.00 AM to 02.00 PM.
- Outer Ring Road passing through Burari
- Burari Road from Kingsway Camp Chowk to Sant Nagar Burari. Instead take Road No. 51 to reach Ring Road/Outer Ring Road
- For going towards South Delhi from Mukarba Chowk, Road Users may take Outer Ring Road towards Madhuban Chowk OR GTK Road from Mukarba Chowk to Azad Pur and then turn right on Ring Road at Azad Pur towards Punjabi Bagh.
- Vehicles going towards North Delhi from Nizamuddin side may be required to be diverted to Trans Yamuna from Geeta Colony Bridge OR Yamuna Bridge (Vikas Marg) OR Nizamuddin Bridge as per requirement. These vehicles may further take Pushta Road for going towards North, and May rejoin via ISBT Flyover OR Wazirabad Bridge as per directions.