No bail to cops jailed for CP killings | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Jul 25, 2017-Tuesday
New Delhi
  • Humidity
  • Wind

No bail to cops jailed for CP killings

Delhi HC declines to hear the bail application of the 10 policemen sentenced to life imprisonment in the CP shootout.

delhi Updated: Jan 23, 2008 15:47 IST

The Delhi High Court on Wednesday declined to hear the bail application of the 10 policemen sentenced to life imprisonment for killing two innocent citizens in broad daylight in the capital's Connaught Place over 10 years ago.

A division bench headed by Justice GS Sistani denied bail to the cops, who were sentenced on October 24 last year after being convicted for gunning down businessmen Pradeep Goel and Jagjeet Singh, reportedly mistaking them for dreaded gangster Mohammed Yasin and his henchman.

"We will not hear the bail plea but will hear the appeal filed by all the convicts challenging the lower court order of life imprisonment," said the bench while posting the matter to February 19 for regular hearing.

The convicted policemen included assistant commissioner of Delhi Police SS Rathi. The other policemen facing imprisonment are inspector Anil Kumar, sub-inspector Ashok Rana, head constables Shiv Kumar, Tejpal Singh, Mahavir Singh, constables Sumer Singh, Subhash Chand, Sunil Kumar and Kothari Ram.

The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had probed the case and had accused the 10 policemen of "indiscriminately" firing at the victims without any provocation near Statesman House in Delhi's central Connaught Place area.

The CBI had alleged the "callous" action of the policemen was aimed at getting promotion by claiming to have killed gangsters.

The agency had further contended that to cover up the case, the policemen planted a pistol and a few cartridges inside the car to corroborate their claim that the first fire came from the businessmen but the forensic report belied that any shot was fired from the weapon.

Rathi, who remained in jail for over three years along with the other accused after their arrest in July, 1997, had also been charged with giving false information of the incident to higher police officials to claim his innocence in the act.