There had been no change in the Centre’s stance vis-à-vis Maharashtra government’s suit in the Supreme Court laying claim over 865 Marathi-speaking villages in parts of Karnataka, a senior government official said on Thursday.
The home ministry, in November 2006, had taken the position that the suit may be disposed of “in accordance with the proved facts of the case and in accordance with law”, the home ministry official said.
Maharashtra had moved the Supreme Court in March 2004, challenging the validity of some provisions of the States Reorganisation Act 1956 and for an order directing the inclusion of certain Marathi-speaking areas in Maharashtra.
The home ministry had opposed Maharashtra’s appeal in its 2006 affidavit but left it to the court to decide the order.
Officials said the affidavit that had been incorrectly interpreted to imply central support for Karnataka should only be read in context of the application filed by Maharashtra this February.