No evidence found, cops free 4 of 10 suspected JeM operatives
Mohsin, Zishan, Imran and Muzahir returned home after they were grilled for three daysdelhi Updated: May 08, 2016 08:45 IST
Four out of 10 youths detained by Delhi Police on Tuesday night on suspicion of being JeM operatives, were released on Saturday after the police couldn’t find any evidence against them. The youths were reportedly counselled, de-redicalised and let off.
Mohsin (35), Zishan (19), Imran (23), residents of Chand Bagh and Muzahir (26), resident of Loni, returned home after they were grilled for three days. Thirteen youths had been picked up of which three were arrested.
Police sources said the youths were released after no evidence of their direct involvement in either making the IEDs or being a part of a larger operation was found. During the investigation, the chats on their WhatsApp accounts and Facebook messenger were analysed. But nothing incriminating was found.
The youths told the police that they felt angry about the state of Muslims but they never thought of joining the JeM. “It is a very sensitive case and we carried out the investigation thoroughly. We made sure we didn’t arrest the wrong people. This is why we only arrested three out of 13 persons we picked up on Tuesday night. Since no direct involvement of these youths was found, we let them go,” a police source said.
They youths were happy to have been let off. However, they feared they won’t be accepted by the society.
“We have no complaints. They (investigators) treated us well. Kept us in air-conditioned rooms, gave us food and allowed us to offer namaz. They neither hit us nor pressured us. They just asked us to cooperate in the investigation. On the first day, I was terrified. I thought I was being framed in a terror case and would languish in jail for the rest of my life or that I would get a death sentence. But they soothed my nerves and promised to let us off if we cooperate,” said Zishan, who sells garments in Chand Bagh.
He fears about his future and if the police would detain him again. “I can never forget that night when I was taken away. I hope I am able to prove my innocence to the society,” he said. He clarified that he had nothing to do with Sajid, the main suspect from whose residence the IEDs were recovered. He said he was detained on mere suspicion.
“I used to see him in the masjid when he came to offer namaz. I would greet him, but we barely spoke. I know nothing about the meetings at his house or anything about his plan or the IEDs. I am just glad to be home,” Zishan said. Mohsin also had a similar story to tell.
Meanwhile, the other six persons, who are still under the scanner, are being questioned.