Nursery admissions: 400 EWS seats vacant in private schools, but no second draw of lots | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
Aug 17, 2017-Thursday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Nursery admissions: 400 EWS seats vacant in private schools, but no second draw of lots

In a circular issued by the Directorate of Education (DOE), the government said that 384 seats have remained vacant as there were no applications in these school or the applicants were allotted a school of higher preference. The admissions to the 25% reserved EWS nursery seats in private schools are held through draw of lots.

delhi Updated: Mar 26, 2017 22:12 IST
HT Correspondent
Parents checking the nursery admission list at private school in Delhi. 25% seats are reserved for students belonging to EWS category in each private school.
Parents checking the nursery admission list at private school in Delhi. 25% seats are reserved for students belonging to EWS category in each private school.(Burhaan Kinu/HT Photo)

Around 400 nursery seats will remain vacant this year as the Delhi government has decided not to hold a second round of lottery for admission in the economically weaker section/disadvantaged (EWS/DG) category for private schools.

In a circular issued by the Directorate of Education (DOE), the government said that 384 seats have remained vacant as there were no applications in these school or the applicants were allotted a school of higher preference.

The admissions to the 25% reserved EWS nursery seats in private schools are held through draw of lots. Since last year the Delhi government has been conducting centralised registration and admission for EWS admissions, as mandated under the Right to Education (RTE) Act 2009.

This year, the DOE had received 1,13,991 online applications for the 31,653 EWS/DG category seats. Through the computerized draw of lots, a total of 31,269 candidates were allotted schools as per their preferences.

The government said the remaining 384 seats were in budget private schools, where there have been no applications. So it was not clear what will happen with these seats.

“No second list is being contemplated at present. As of now, we are closely tracking the number of seats and admissions in schools. So if we find seats being vacant for non-reporting by children, the we will think of second round of admission,” said a senior DOE official.

However the RTE mandates that the government must ensure the admissions of children belonging to EWS/DG category at all entry level classes and it should be based on existing strength of students at any given point of time.

Last year, the government had conducted admission till September for the seats. Even after that, there were 11,000 seats which remained empty and were carried forward this year.

In an affidavit filed by the government at the Delhi High Court, the government has stated that out of the 28,135 seats in 1,159 schools more than 19,000 seats have been filled.