OC not too keen to file response
The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) - against whom the Shunglu panel has levelled the most serious allegations of causing a loss of Rs382 crore to the exchequer - does not seem too keen to file its response.delhi Updated: Apr 12, 2011 00:10 IST
The Commonwealth Games Organising Committee (OC) - against whom the Shunglu panel has levelled the most serious allegations of causing a loss of Rs382 crore to the exchequer - does not seem too keen to file its response.
Sources said the Organising Committee officials are more busy these days in completing the last leg of paper work before the agency winds up its operations by May-end. "We are finalising our accounts that will have to be audited before we shut shop. Though our initial mandate was to wind up operations by March 31, we had to seek an extension to complete the paper work. Right now that is a priority with us," said an OC official, who did not wish to be named.
Asked if the OC would file a reply to the charges levelled against it by the Shunglu panel, the official said, "We have not been asked to submit a reply so far. If the Sports Ministry directs us, then we will respond."
The high level committee headed by former CAG VK Shunglu to probe irregularities in the conduct of the October 2010 Commonwealth Games has come down heavily on the mismanagement in the CWG Organising Committee and said "the irregularities and adverse conduct that appeared to permeate a large part of the OC affected the smooth preparation and build-up of the Games and its image". The Central Public Works Department - which comes under the Union UD Ministry - and was responsible for readying a majority of the Games venues, including the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium, National Stadium, SP Mukherjee swimming pool and Dr Karni Singh shooting range - has also not prepared its reply to the specific charges levelled against it by the high-level probe panel.