Pak involvement clear: Antony
Defence minister AK Antony said on Wednesday that there was “clear evidence” of Pakistani army’s involvement in the killing of two jawans inside the Indian territory near the LoC on Monday night.delhi Updated: Jan 10, 2013 01:30 IST
Defence minister AK Antony said on Wednesday that there was “clear evidence” of Pakistani army’s involvement in the killing of two jawans inside the Indian territory near the LoC on Monday night.
Antony said this in Kolkata in response to a statement issued by the Pakistan high commission in New Delhi that rejected the charge of attacking across the LoC and killing the soldiers, saying, “These are baseless and unfounded allegations.”
Earlier on Wednesday, foreign secretary Ranjan Mathai summoned Pakistan high commissioner Salman Bashir.
Mathai summoned Bashir to lodge a strong protest, pointing out that regular troops of the Pakistani army crossed the LoC at the Mendhar sector.
Mathai also recalled that the experts of both countries decided at a meeting on December 27 in New Delhi to maintain the sanctity of the LoC — one of the most important confidence building measures between the two countries.
Pakistan, however, rejected the charge, with its foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar demanding that investigations be conducted through the UN Military Observes Group for India and Pakistan on ceasefire violations. India promptly refused the proposal.
Though New Delhi is not satisfied with the stand that the Pakistani establishment has taken, foreign minister Salman Khurshid said, “We cannot and must not allow escalation of a very unwholesome event that has taken place.”