Park and ride to the Games | delhi | Hindustan Times
Today in New Delhi, India
May 27, 2017-Saturday
-°C
New Delhi
  • Humidity
    -
  • Wind
    -

Park and ride to the Games

Park and ride. That’s the catchphrase of the Delhi Transport Department for the Commonwealth Games 2010, reports Atul Mathur.

delhi Updated: May 24, 2009 23:44 IST
Atul Mathur

Park and ride. That’s the catchphrase of the Delhi Transport Department for the Commonwealth Games 2010.

They have laid out an elaborate plan to provide public transport to the games venues and important landmarks in the city during the 11-day mega-sporting event.

Delhi Transport Commissioner RK Verma said there would be 32 points — 26 in the Capital and six in the satellite towns — from where buses will originate for various games venues and important commercial and institutional areas.

The Commonwealth Games are to be held from October 3 to October 14, 2010.

“Specific routes and frequency of buses are being worked out for these buses,” Verma said. “Each bus route would connect two to three games venues along with important destination points.”

Over one lakh visitors are expected to visit Delhi during the games to watch 72 countries compete in 17 different sports disciplines.

Verma said the points have been identified based on an origin-destination survey of Delhi.

Inter-state bus terminals of Kashmere Gate, Anand Vihar and Sarai Kale Khan, Old Delhi and New Delhi railway stations and residential areas like Rohini, Dwarka and Mayur Vihar are some of the points.

The service will be extended to six satellite towns — Gurgaon, Faridabad, Noida, Ghaziabad, Bahadurgarh and Greater Noida.

Senior traffic police officials said since parking space was limited at the stadiums, private cars will not be allowed to go up to the venues.

Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, the biggest sporting venue where most of the track and field events would take place, has a capacity to seat over 50,000 spectators. Its parking lot can accommodate only up to 500 cars and 400 buses, a senior traffic police officer said.

Parking lots are being identified in the vicinity of up to two kilometers of the games venues.

“We expect over 70 per cent people to use public transport to reach the stadiums. The remaining 30 per cent can park their vehicles in the parking lots and avail park and ride facility,” Delhi Traffic Police chief SN Shrivastava said.

Officials said these parking lots will cater to more than one sporting venues and buses would be available from there at regular intervals.